DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH
Patricia A. D'Amore, PhD, MBA
In 1947, World War II hero Charles L. Schepens, MD, joined the HMS Howe Laboratory as a research fellow. Recognizing the need for a dedicated eye research organization, Dr. Schepens established the Retina Foundation in 1950, representing a handful of researchers working out of a modest Boston tenement. This collaboration was renamed the Eye Research Institute of Retina Foundation in 1974 to better represent its active research program, and became formally affiliated with HMS in 1991. Today, the Institute bears the name of its influential founder, who is regarded as “the father of retinal surgery.” In a cutting-edge facility just a short walk from the main campuses of Mass. Eye and Ear and Massachusetts General Hospital, Schepens researchers advance the understanding of eye disease and facilitate the transfer of scientific knowledge into clinical use. Since its inception, Schepens has trained over 600 postdoctoral fellows and produced nearly 5,000 scientific papers and books on the eye. Schepens Eye Research Institute became a subsidiary of the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Foundation in 2011.