Ophthalmology residents are full-time, salaried, and non-exempt employees of Mass. Eye and Ear.
- PGY-2: $66,000
- PGY-3: $69,000
- PGY-4: $72,000
Education Allowance/Other Benefits
- Set of Academy books (14 book series)
- Equipment fund of $2,750 (one-time fund, can be spent throughout three years of residency to purchase lenses, indirect ophthalmoscope, loupes, etc.)
- Dietary fund for meals purchased in cafeteria for all three years of residency
- Travel expenses (up to $1500/meeting) if presenting at ARVO and/or AAO as a first author on research conducted during residency
- Travel expenses (up to $1,000) for one professional meeting during residency (not required to present)
- India elective at Aravind Hospital: $2,750 for travel expenses
- Free photocopies in the library
Health insurance, voluntary dental insurance, life insurance, supplemental life insurance, malpractice insurance, long-term disability insurance, tax sheltered annuities, flexible spending accounts, paid holidays, subsidized passes for the subway/commuter rail, employee assistance, child and elder care referral, and emergency and sick child care.
Residents earn four weeks of vacation per year. Each resident also may also take one personal day per year.