Ophthalmology residents are full-time, salaried, and non-exempt employees of Mass. Eye and Ear.
- PGY-1: $66,500
- PGY-2: $69,200
- PGY-3: $72,000
- PGY-4: $75,000
Education Allowance/Other Benefits
- Set of Academy books (14 book series): valued at approximately $1,485
- Set of lenses: valued at approximately $1,305
- Education fund (to purchase equipment, electronic, etc.): $2750 (one time)
- Dietary fund for meals purchased in cafeteria for final three years of residency: value $1800 (one time)
- Conference travel fund if presenting as a first-author on research conducted durign residency: $3,000 maximum per year
- Travel fund for local transportation expenses: $2500 (one time)
- India travel fund for elective at Aravind Hospital: $2,750 (one time)
Health insurance, voluntary dental insurance, life insurance, supplemental life insurance, malpractice insurance, long-term disability insurance, tax sheltered annuities, flexible spending accounts, paid holidays, subsidized passes for the subway/commuter rail, employee assistance, child and elder care referral, and emergency and sick child care.
Residents earn four weeks of vacation per year. Each resident also may also take one personal day per year. Residents are excused for medical appointments and do not have to use vacation time or personal day for this purpose.