Industry partnerships and commercial ventures offer opportunities to accelerate the discovery, development, and delivery of innovative drugs and medical devices. As our industry relationships grow in number, Harvard Ophthalmology strives to maintain academic integrity and a culture of open and objective communication. To this end, we have compiled the following resources and guidelines for disclosing commercial interests, also known as outside financial interests (OFI) or conflicts of interest (COI):
Standard Disclosure Slide Templates (with instructions and examples):
All speakers are encouraged (often required) to include a disclosure slide in their presentations, even if there are no relevant disclosures.
|General disclosure slide template|
Format: PowerPoint (.pptx) | File Size: 106 KB | Size: 16:9
Disclosure Policies and Resources:
- Harvard Medical School (HMS) Policy on Conflicts of Interest and Commitment implemented by the Office for Academic and Research Integrity: All HMS faculty are bound to this policy, which includes the requirement that faculty disclose their significant financial interests their trainees, colleagues, and collaborators. This requirement appears in Section IV: Mentors’ Obligations to Trainees and Section VI: Faculty Compliance Responsibility.
- HMS Outside Activity Reporting System: This site links to mechanisms for completing the mandatory annual certification of outside activities at HMS-affiliated hospitals.
- ICMJE Form: The disclosure form of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), which is required by many journals, contains useful guidelines for determining the relevance of financial interests.
- ARVO Paper Presentation Guidelines
- ARVO Financial Disclosure Guidelines